Friday, August 14, 2020

With Excellence

The past few months have been full of house remodels for our family.  I grew up in a construction family so have had a lot of opportunities to learn how to do home projects.  I have jokingly said, practicing carpentry and wearing sandals are just ways I’m trying to be more like Jesus.   

I have learned many lessons from construction.  Asking one friend how he got so good at drywall, he said the key to a good drywall finish comes from paying attention to the details in 

framing a wall.  No wonder I had to apply 42 coats of mud and sand for days, I thought “rough carpentry” was supposed to be “rough” and then you covered up the flaws with drywall.  How wrong I was.  I feel like Jesus said something about the value of a good foundation in a story about houses built on rock or sand.

 

I was working in my closet the other day finish sanding when a spot was giving me trouble.  My first thought was “it’s a closet, no one is ever going to see that.”  But then I began to think about Colossians 3:23 “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”  How would I treat Jesus’ closet?  Would “good enough” do?  

 

Thinking about a work ethic, I look to God and see that when God works, it is good, majestic, and glorious.  He creates masterpieces!  I have yet to read in the Bible that God said it is “good enough.”  

 

Now I am not God, so sometimes my walls aren’t plumb and my cuts aren’t square.  But I am challenged to consider my work ethic as excellent or just good enough.  As parents, these are great stories to share with our kids.  What lessons are they learning from us and the way we work?  Are we pointing to a majestic and glorious Creator as we work or showing a way of “good enough”?  

 

Oh yeah, I painted over that flubbed spot in the closet.  I’m still on this journey of being challenged in my day to day walk with Jesus.  Thank God I’m still a work in progress that he is making good! (Philippians 1:6)  Reflecting on God's Word and applying it are tough, but each step draws us closer to what we are becoming.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely sai, Son! Your great grandfather’s- yes, the master carpenter that set the course - always taught that there’s no reason to put the finest trim in the house if you didn’t get a strong, sound foundation under the home. Each step requires attention to detail. Though not practicing the trade professionally, he would be proud that you apply the trade skills in ministry perspectives.

    ReplyDelete